Monday 10 January 2011

of post-its and pencils

  It's been one of those days; the only writing I've really got done is some post-it note assessments of children  at school to share with my colleagues (along the lines of:  Arwenna doesn't know how to bite into a pear yet;  Trav is terrified of pencils).  Oh, and updating facebook, of course.  (Do ten words count?)
  Instead of pointing out failures, though, I should mention that I did work out tonight, and while my legs were knotting themselves up to a cry of  'grapevine!' I was busy mentally fleshing out a character who had been inserted into the first draft indecently late.  He's a police officer, and I was being lazy first time around.  I knew researching him would take time.  But the story baulked over the lack of him;   the plot wouldn't lie straight.  I gave in three quarters of the way through the first draft, and now, in rewriting/editing mode, I've got to go back to the beginning and put him in.  
  It's exciting to be back at a blank-page, creating stage.  I'm enjoying the editing to some extent, but it's the first time in a few weeks that my fingers have itched this much! Perhaps I'll delay bedtime and get some real writing done, without a post-it in sight...

No comments:

Post a Comment