Saturday 11 January 2014

Done it!

My final story of the year has been submitted. I am metaphorically dancing round the room! (Am too tired to really dance.) The only thing that could make this any better would be to actually win...

I'm proud of this latest submission. After a shaky start with it, and feeling uninspired, I became quite excited, and it felt good when I re-read it. I asked a critical friend for feedback. I respect his opinions and while he's tactful, he's honest. He apologised for picking it to pieces, when actually the things he'd mentioned were mostly things I'd had qualms about. It's always invaluable to have a reader who will point out when your meaning is unclear, too, so I appreciated his input. But the thing I liked best about his feedback was that when he got to the slight twist I'd slipped in, he had commented in the margin, "I got a tingle down my spine when I read this and saw that things weren't as they seemed." I love that. I love knowing that something I wrote created that response, even if it was only in one reader. That spark of encouragement is worth a lot to me.
Mmmm.....Abigail's finest...

I'm ready now to re-evaluate and make my goals for 2014. One thing I want to do is plan to have writing time, and use it wisely. This week I made the mistake of trying to multi-task by making dinner while writing one afternoon. I think you can see dinner wasn't an outright success, but I think the words baked better...

No comments:

Post a Comment